Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A cold fall morning

The horses are starting to feel the effects of the cold and rain, so we've been keeping them in the barn for periods of time to fuel up with hay and grain, and to let them dry off. Tarj, my 23-year-old, usually hates being in the barn. To him, it means a loss of control over his subjects. The other morning it was POURING so I decided I would drag him in for his grain then trap him in to eat hay.

He walked right in, no prompting. He was cold and wanting a break from the elements.

Last night we kept them in. Fresh shavings, water, grain and hay, and then tucked them in. This morning they were anxious to see me for more grain, but didn't act like they were mental to get out of the barn.

Til I let them out. The dew was heavy on the pasture, the alleyways and paddock were slick with mud, and it was cold. They walked out of the barn, flatfooted...I noted for the first time how much winter fur has come on and I was happy to see it. We've also been blanketing the two older guys, JB and Tarj, at night on occasion due to the cold. Now that we have round bales for them to munch on all night, we haven't blanketed them in hopes their coats will fill out.

Well the easy walk soon turned into raucous, hoof-flashing, full-out running. Calvin stayed back while Tarj, Simon and JB (! -- for the first time, he's playing!) raced out to pasture and reared, bucked, kicked and farted. Watching them run and play is much like watching a acid-induced ballet -- they move so gracefully but frenetically. Their energy is so pent-up and then it just explodes.

Finally Calvin made his move. He raced, head level, down and charging, into the herd. It was like shooting your favorite marble into the grouping -- they scatter: one popping up before it takes off, one scooting off at high velocity, another seemingly "stunned" by the impact. Then more rearing, and then they move off at a gallop, legs moving in unison, like a well-choreographed dance.

Thundering hooves, snorting and neighing carry loudly across the water-laden scene. I stood transfixed in the slowly warming backyard, loving the feel of the sunrise on my face. I took another sip from my coffee, then turned, dog at my heels, to start my day.

No comments: